The Graduate Council (Membership List) meets each month to discuss academic policies and curricula that relate to graduate education at Appalachian.
Meeting Dates, Agendas, Deadlines, and Minutes
The active links below point to the agenda for the next meeting or to approved minutes, which are typically posted after the next meeting of the council. All meetings will be held in Room 387 John E. Thomas Bldg from 3:00-5:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Deadlines for curriculum proposals are also listed; proposals should be emailed as PDF attachments using the appropriate APP form to Janice Voss (VossJF).
2013-14 Academic Year
- September 16 (proposal deadline August 30) - minutes
- October 21 (proposal deadline October 4) -- to be posted upon approval
- November 18 (proposal deadline November 1) - agenda
- January 27 (proposal deadline January 10)
- February 17 (proposal deadline January 31)
- March 17 (proposal deadline February 28)
- April 14 (proposal deadline March 28)
2012-13 Academic Year
- September 17 (proposal deadline August 31) - minutes
- October 15 (proposal deadline September 28) - minutes
- November 19 (proposal deadline November 2) - minutes
- January 28 (proposal deadline January 11) - minutes
- February 18 (proposal deadline February 1) - minutes
- March 18 (proposal deadline March 1) - minutes
- April 15 (proposal deadline March 29) - minutes
Graduate Council Minutes Archive (contains minutes back to Spring 2005)
Prior to APP action and final approval by the Provost, the Graduate Council must review and act on all proposals associated with the following:
- graduate course additions, deletions, or changes, including all dual-listed 4000-level courses. If the only change is the semester offering, then the department can notify the graduate school via email (HirstHP).
- graduate degree or certificate changes, additions, or deletions, including admission criteria and non-course requirements for completion.
- policy changes related to degree requirements, admission requirements, and academic policies as stated in the Graduate Bulletin and Course Catalog.
Curriculum proposals will not be accepted for Graduate Council consideration until the proposals have been approved by the appropriate academic college/school councils and reviewed by the Registrar's Office staff (for course number and title issues). Proposals may be submitted simultaneously to Teacher Education Council (if appropriate) and APP, but will not be approved by APP without approval of the Graduate Council prior to the APP meeting.
Proposals must be emailed as PDF using the appropriate APP form. Email proposals as attachments to Janice Voss (VossJF) by the dates indicated above. More information on APP approvals and forms can be found on the APP website: http://www.app.appstate.edu.
Review and Approval Process
Proposals will be screened carefully about a week prior to the Council meeting by the Curriculum Committee of the Council. If there are questions or concerns at that time, the department chair will be contacted.
A representative from the program (typically the department chair or program director) should be present at the Graduate Council meeting to answer any questions from the Council.
The Graduate Council has recently finished a review of the mission and goals for graduate education. Discussion continues on the format for the process of graduate program review. Feedback is welcome on the following topics and may be sent to Holly Hirst (hirsthp) or to any member of the Council.
- Prioritization, planning and the review process for graduate programs.
- Rules and regulations on certificates and minors
- Other topics addressed in the last three years:
- Graduate Faculty Membership process and criteria
- Program of study and candidacy process and timing
- Baseline criterion for unconditional admission
- Dual-listed courses