Office of the Dean of the
Graduate School and Research & Sponsored Programs
News and Notes from the Dean...
- Commencement for Spring 2013 is scheduled for May 10 at 6 PM in the Holmes Convocation Center. Congratulations to approximately 450 graduating graduate students. [more]
- Congratulations to our student award recipients for 2012-13, honored at the awards reception on April 18. [more]
- 2012-13 Program Prioritization is underway. All programs will submit reports between November 2012 and August 2013. [more]
- The 2012 Graduate Faculty meeting was held on Friday, May 4, 4-5:15 PM in the Turchin Center Lecture Hall. [August 2011 Meeting slides] [August 2011 Meeting minutes] (May 2010 Meeting Slides)
About the Graduate School...
Named for a pioneer in the discipline of Appalachian Studies and Dean of the Graduate School from 1958 to 1975, The Cratis D. Williams Graduate School was established in 1948 with an enrollment of 273 students, providing a structure for the graduate courses that had been offered at Appalachian since 1942 under the auspices of the University of North Carolina. In the years since, the Graduate School has grown to over 2500 master's, specialist, and doctoral students. In the 1980's, research and grants support and encouragement were added to the Dean of the Graduate School's portfolio of responsibilities.
- The Graduate School - administers over 50 graduate degree and graduate certificate programs.
- The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs - oversees activities related to research protections and grant preparation and submission.
We have designed this web site to provide you with the most up-to-date information available, and we hope that you will find the site both informative and navigable. Please feel free to contact us with suggestions on how we can improve our web site. The Contact Us link appears at the bottom of every page.
Thank you for visiting our web site!
Edelma Huntley, PhD
Dean and Chief Research Officer